THE YUCATAN PENINSULA
Covering three states, Yucatán, Campeche, and Quintana Roo, the Yucatán Peninsula is among the most diverse in the hemisphere.
Yucatan Travel Highlights:
- Mérida – The vibrant capital of Yucatán state, Merida is a colonial city replete with elegant buildings that were once the city homes of wealthy hacienda owners. Now boasting a burgeoning art scene, boutique hotels and fine cuisine, Mérida is consistently voted as one of the nicest cities in Mexico.
- Campeche – The colorful capital of the state of Campeche, the city itself boasts many restored buildings and colonial structures that helped it to become a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. Once a port town fearful of pirate attacks the city is surrounded by a thick fortress.
- Mayan Archaeological Zones – Home to some of the most finely restored Mayan cities in world, the Yucatán Peninsula also contains ruins still covered in dense jungle, waiting to reveal new hidden mysteries. Those unearthed offer a glimpse into the ancient Mayan world as you walk in the footsteps of civilizations past.
- Valladolid – The Magical Villlage of Valladolid is a small, colorful town with a laidback, sleepy feel. From colonial era churches and architecture to natural wonders such as cenotes, Valladolid is a great place to stop.
- Haciendas – Scattered throughout the Yucatan Peninsula, haciendas offer a glimpse of what were once operational henequen plantations in the grand style and tradition of the period. Many have now converted into living museums and luxury hotels.
SAMPLE ITINERARIESDAY TOURS
This itinerary designed for families who wish to explore Mexico while staying at an elegant resort. Surrounded by verdant jungle and white sand.
For those who seek to experience its natural wonders, including lush jungles and stunning beaches; and a rejuvenation sanctuary, with unique spa treatments and wellness retreats.
Your journey will take you to Mayan sites like Uxmal and Chichen Itza. Try your hand at cooking authentic Yucatec food. Swim the cool, clear and refreshing waters of underground river systems…
The Swim with Whale Sharks and Visit Ancient Ruins trip allows for an up-close encounter with the docile whale sharks, and visit to the areas most interesting Mayan sites, providing unique and exhilarating experiences not to be forgotten.
The Culture of Mexico Experience explores Mexico City, Guanajuato, and the Yucatan Peninsula for a look at the many of the traditions and history that the Mexican people take great pride.
Enjoy a spectacular day expedition that in which you will visit the archeological site of Kohunlich, and UNESCO World Heritage Site of Bacalar.