Live the experience of visiting blue waters of the Caribbean Sea and have the amazing opportunity of swimming next to the biggest fish in the planet, the Whale Shark.
Every year from June to Septemeber, the whale sharks surrounding Isla Mujeres and Cancun allow all the lovers of the marine world to enjoy an unforgettable experience. To swim close to the biggest fish in the world may be done in a few places such as Australia and Belize, however the area between Isla Mujeres and Isla Contoy is the most privileged because it gathers one of the largest whale shark populations.
The presence of this creature in the summer is primarily between Contoy Island and Holbox Island – although in the past years we have encountered more species towards the Caribbean Sea and Isla Mujeres – is due to the large amount of nutrients that is found in this part of the Caribbean. Accompanied by an expert, guests will receive the necessary information to understand whale shark behavior and once acquainted they will be able to get off the boat with a certified guide to swim beside them whale sharks are completely harmless to humans.
If you are serious of enjoying to snorkel with Whale Shark there is no better option as a private Expedition. You will be able to have a flexible schedule by staying longer or getting earlier at the Whale Shark area. This will allow you a very intimate experience with these magnificent animals.
You will be picked up in a Deluxe Vehicle (Suburban; Mercedes Vito or if you have are larger group a Mercedes Sprinter) at your hotel. Your Expert Certified Guide will welcome you and provide you with the briefing.
Upon arrival your boat will be ready to go (Snorkel gear will be ready as well as wetsuits since we will have taken your sizes previously).
You will be able to extend your time at the Whale Shark area or also choose to have lunch at one of the many attractive Beach Clubs of Isla Mujeres (we will still have our traditional lunch on the boat).
- 08:30 Meet your Tour Guide and Transfer to Puerto Juarez (Playa del Carmen is approx. 60 min away)
- 09:30 Arrive to Puerto Juarez and board your Open Fiberglass Speedboat to the Whale Shark Area. (approx. 1.5 to 2 hours).
- 11:00 Arrive to snorkeling area and start activity –most operators will be leaving the area at this time.
- 14:00 End of Activity and return towards Isla Mujeres – on the way enjoy sandwiches and drinks.
- 14:30 Arrive to Isla Mujeres and free time at Playa Norte – or late lunch at one of the beach clubs (not included)
- 16:00 Return to Puerto Juarez
- 16:30 Arrive to Puerto Juarez and drive back to Playa del Carmen
- 17:30 Back at the Hotel
– The best months to observe and snorkel with these fantastic animals are July and August.
– This private experience will allow you to have the maximum flexibility
– If more than 2 guests we will add an additional Guide so that you can maximize your experience in the water with the Whale Sharks
– Strongly recommend to use alternative hours and get to the Whale Shark Area either before everybody else is arriving or even better when everybody starts to leave – this way we maximize your time as we will not have to find the area where the animals gather.
This expedition includes:
- Deluxe Private roundtrip transportation
- Private Vessel
- Snorkeling gear
- Life jacket
- Private Bilingual Certified Whale Shark Guide (if more than 2 guests 1 additional guide)
- Entrance fees to the National Reserve of the Whale Shark
- Light Breakfast
- Bottled water and Sodas
- Beer (only after swimming)
- Lunch (Sandwich and fresh made Ceviche)
What should you bring with you?
Waterproof camera, towel, sunglasses, biodegradable suntan lotion